Monday, February 19, 2007

Rocky Start/Rocky Adventure....

Jason and I planned to go Snowshoeing about a week ago at the Crystal Lake Ski Resort by Williamsport. We were both so excited, however it wasn't the best adventure in the world. It started off really rocky. Yesterday, Sunday, I developed a stomach virus. I don't know if it was from the dinner we had the night before (not very good) or if it was a virus but I was spending a lot of time on the toilet. Yes, too much information, sorry. Anyway, I worried about not being able to go Snowshoeing on Monday. Maybe this was our first sign not to go. So we got up early on Monday morning. We left the house forgetting our coats and the wallet so we could pay for the adventure. Luckily we only made it down to Berwick so we didn't get far until we realized we needed to turn around. Maybe our second sign. Then we needed to stop and get gas. I told Jason to check out the tire pressure so we didn't have any problems on our way to the ski resort. Our tires were low. We tried to fill them up however the pump was covered with snow so that didn't work. Third sign? We decided to just drive on low tires hoping they wouldn't pop. When we arrived near the ski resort the area was so beautiful. It was a very small town and the town was very old. Tons of old well maintained homes. Near the turnoff to the ski resort we noticed a drive thru with Ma and Pa on it. Since this has been our nickname for one another since we've been married we had to pull in and take a photo. The owner came out thinking we were lost so we told him how excited we was to see his sign. He was a very nice man! On the way up to the ski resort the view was beautiful. We seen a gorgeous church (see below) and also passed a road sign called Van Horn. This made me think of Kim, whom I miss dearly so we had to stop and get a photo. Once we arrived at the resort we found a place to park and went inside the get our gear. It was an older couple running the place and honestly, it was like they didn't know what they were doing. The husband was leading us one way and the wife was yelling (seriously) for us to come over to see her. That should have been our final clue right their. Jason and I planned on spending the day hiking so we had carried our packs with us. Jason told the guy we had our packs so he would fit us for the right snow shoes. Man, he didn't listen at all. We started out and already I didn't like snowshoeing. I am not the best walker. I'm such a klutz. Anyway, I was falling all over the place and getting very frustrated. We started to venture off the trails and instead of our snow shoes holding us up off the snow we sank in. I don't know if you have been watching the news but we have had tons of snow. Needless to say I was sinking well below my knees. We walked for a bit and at this time I was getting very frustrated. I couldn't stand up and couldn't keep my shoes from tripping me. So, we decided to turn around and head back. This was only after about 1 hour. Walking back to the rental place Jason and I talked and decided to walk on the established ski trails. Well by that time I was so exhausted that I could barley pickup my feet. I stopped Jason and told him I hated this so much I was cussing inside my head. So, we turned around again. We walked up to the ski shop and said when we walked in how horrible the trip was. How we was sinking. Well the guy says, I gave you the wrong size snow shoes. When you said you was hiking with a pack I thought it was a fanny pack. Jason had told him we was carrying about 20 lbs each before we left. Anyway, he was like would you like to try some more shoes? At that point I was like "NO, we're leaving" Anyway, he didn't offer a refund and both of us didn't feel like fighting to get one. OH well. We started home and I was still so angry at the experience. I mean, it was like 50.00 for the both of us. Anyway, so we drove by our favorite pizza place and had lunch. That cheered us up. So, we probably will not take up the sport of snow shoeing. I was very disappointed too because I really had been looking forward to snow shoeing. Good thing we didn't spend the money and purchase them.

Anyway, some more photos you can see below. These are the deer that have been hanging out down the street for us. I wanted to get a deer block and put it in our front yard but my mom told me it wasn't a good idea. They sure are beautiful though. We spent all morning Sunday driving around looking for wildlife to photograph.


We thought this was a beautiful church by the mountains.

Kim, I know it's your madien name but seeing this sign made me think of you.

Jason and I developed a nickname of Maw Paw a long time ago. We thought this was funny.

How Beautiful. You can't see them all but this was a herd of about 10


One of the covered bridges in Bloom with snow on it. (Obviously, he he he)

No comments: