Wednesday, March 05, 2008

The Flood

So the Susquhanna River will crest tonight. We're safe because we're on the hill but others are not as fortunate. Since I have this huge facination with natural disasters (don't ask why because I don't know) I went out with my cell phone camera in hand. Jason had our good camera with him. I went up over the mountain toward Fishing Creek. Several homes are close or are underwater. The river is almost out of it's banks and onto the road. Almost meaning 1 - 2 feet from the road so very close. My first stop was the Johan Hess Covered Bridge. The river is the highest I've ever seen it. I'm attaching pics of the river before and right now.

The River on a normal day

The river now

Looking at the river from inside the bridge


Next I drove along 476 along Fishing Creek. Several homes are already underwater along the creek. It's very very sad to see.



Next I ventured over to the Bloomsburg to the park. It's already out of it's banks. Hopefully it will not rise any higher so Jacquie's family will be ok and their home as well. I do not believe they flooded last time but they were evacuated.

The Susquahanna (spelled wrong) from the park

Then it was off to Quaker Steak for dinner with Jason.

No comments: